How to Charter a Plane for a Large Group, Family or Small Team
You’ve got a destination in mind and a group of people you need to get there. But you may be finding yourself wondering what the next step is. Do you book multiple seats on a commercial airliner? Or do you book a private charter?
Before you make that decision, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide that explores the benefits of private air travel and how to charter a plane for a large group of people.
What is a group charter flight?
A group charter flight is a private jet reserved solely for the members of a group. The charter aircraft can accommodate a group of any size. For example, a small aircraft that accommodates less than 10 passengers, like an executive team, would be considered a smaller group and booking a large airliner for sports teams or musicians with traveling entourages would be considered a large group charter.
It makes a lot of sense in many ways for large groups to charter a plane, especially for bigger groups that plan on making more than one stop along the way.
Is It Worth It to Charter a Plane?
When deciding between hiring a private jet and booking seats with a commercial airline, you’ll want to consider more than just the cost. Private jets offer passengers so many more benefits, like:
- Quick security check-ins. When you book a private jet, you typically depart from FBOs (fixed-base operators). That means you won’t have to stand in lengthy line-ups and take a trip through security queues.
- Fewer touch points. Because travelers depart from FBOs instead of large airport terminals, they won’t need to pass through a crowded airport before the flight. From arriving at the FBO to boarding the plane, passengers likely encounter less than 20 touchpoints as opposed to nearly 300 in as international airport.
- No large crowds. FBOs are much smaller and the chances of another aircraft departing at the same time are slim, which means flyers won’t have to push their way through crowds to get to the departure gate. Travelers can simply walk onto the tarmac and board their waiting aircraft.
- Easy departures and arrivals. Simply arrive minutes before the flight, check in briefly at the FBO and hop onto the waiting jet. When the jet touches down at the destination, passengers can grab their bags and head to a waiting car.
- Additional concierge services, like in-flight catering. Before boarding, be sure to arrange any in-flight catering. Flying privately means the sky’s the limit when it comes to choosing in-flight refreshments and meals.
- State-of-the-art entertainment stations. Many private jets feature top-of-the-line entertainment stations to keep passengers onboard entertained and comfortable. This is especially important on transcontinental flights.
- Inflight connectivity. Corporate travelers appreciate the ability to stay connected, even when in the skies. It makes conducting business during the flight just as easy at it would be back in the office.
- Completely customizable itinerary. If groups plan on making more than one stop, we always recommend a private charter. The itinerary is set by the group since no other passengers are traveling along.
So Here’s How to Charter a Plane for a Large Group
Are you wondering how to charter a plane for a large group? It’s simple. When you’re ready for a large jet charter, reach out to a Stratos private flight advisor. They’ll start with questions like:
- How many people are traveling with you?
- Where would you like to go?
- When would you like to depart?
- Do you require any additional services, like ground transportation or in-flight catering?
Once you’ve answered those questions, they’ll help you pick the most appropriate jet for your trip. Trip Support will then step in to finalize the arrangement, perform safety checks on the selected aircraft and make sure everything is teed up as it should be.
How Much Does it Cost to Charter a Plane?
The answer to this question will be based on a few factors, like the size of the aircraft you’re chartering and how far you’d like to go.
For an idea of what you can expect for cost, here’s a look at some popular jet charter options for groups.
|Aircraft Make & Model
|Number of Passengers
|Benefits of Note
|Cessna Citation Encore
|– longest cabin of any light jet, 1,800-mile range, cruise speed of 492 mph
|Beechcraft Hawker 900XP
|$ $6,250 – $6,850/hr
|– fully berthable seats, full lavatory, galley, 2,900-mile range, cruise speed of 482 mph
|Embraer Praetor 600
|– Stunning beach-inspired interior, retractable tables, lavatory, 3,900-mile range, cruise speed of 552 mph
|Ultra long-range jet
|Gulfstream Global Express
|– Stateroom with full lavatory, shower and bed, full galley, cruising speed of 562 mph, 6,200-mile range
|– different layout configurations available, ability to haul cargo in addition to passengers, spacious cabin, 3,100-mile range, cruise speed of 559 mph
Other Pricing Factors to Consider
When thinking about chartered flight costs, you’ll also want to factor in these additional fees:
Additional Crew Fees: If your trip requires the crew to spend a night somewhere, those lodging fees are added to the total charter costs
Airport Fees: Many airports charge additional fees for receiving, handling, and storing private jets. Those fees will also be factored into the final rate.
Taxes: Domestic charter flights are subject to a Federal Excise Tax of 7.5%. if you’re flying internationally, other taxes may apply. Our previous blog articles (Part 1 & Part 2) dive into these taxes, so please give them a read if you’d like to learn more.
What is the Cheapest Way to Charter a Plane?
One of the best ways to make a large group charter more affordable is through a fixed-rate private jet membership. With our exclusive Soar Membership program, you can lock in pricing for up to 12 months. As a member, you unlock the world’s most reliable air carriers at fixed rates and with flexible cancellation terms.
Why Book a Group Charter with Stratos?
At Stratos, we’ve spent two decades arranging high-quality charter flights for clients. Over the years, we’ve curated and nurtured many strong industry relationships. We put those relationships to work for our clients so they can fly with peace of mind, knowing they’re in the safest aircraft at the best possible rate.
So when you ask us how to charter a plane for a large group, we’re more than happy to provide you with all the information you need so you can make an informed buying decision.
If you’d like to secure a charter plane for a large group, your family, or corporate team, please reach out. We’d love to chat, (888) 593-9066!
Are you ready to book your Atlanta and Los Angeles charter flight yet?
Our friendly, expert air charter agents are here to answer questions or start your quote today. Don`t wait, call now and we'll get you on your way to your destination!Call 888-593-9066