Private Jets and Pets: 5 Tips for Four-legged Travelers
For many families, travelling with pets has become second nature. And while arranging flights on private jets for you and the entire family requires a significant amount of organization, charter companies like Stratos Jets have the expertise to help you include your four-legged friends in the itinerary as well as provide the height of comfort thousands of feet in the air. When they’re in transit, dogs don’t understand what’s going on around them, so anything you can do to make them feel safe and comfortable is worth considering. Step 1 – Plan Past Air Travel The planning process needs to include more than just the flight itself. For truly smooth travels, it’s best to consider all aspects of your trip, including:
- Packing the necessary belongings for your pet
- Getting to the airport and ground transportation once you land
- Understanding pet immigration policies if you’re flying internationally
- Choosing a pet-friendly accommodation provider
Step 2 – Get a Pet Passport If you’re flying abroad on private jets, make sure your pet has an International Health Certificate (form USDA-APHIS 7001), also known as a ‘Pet Passport.’ You should arrange to have your veterinarian issue this document as near to your travel date as possible, preferably within 10 days of leaving. The passport should include your pet’s:
- Breed and color description
- Country of origin
- Owner contact information (name, address and phone number)
- Current vaccinations and health status
Step 3 – Pack All the Pet Essentials Just like remembering to pack your swim shorts, flip flops and sunscreen for a beach holiday, it’s a good idea to have a checklist for your pet too. Some of the essentials include:
- Food for the charter plane ride
- Adequate supply of prescription medications
- ID tag with local address and contact information
- Collapsible water bowl
- Collars, leashes and other harnesses
- Poop bags
- Blanket or towel
- Travel crate
- Treats and toys
- Grooming supplies
Step 4 – Consider Private Flights If you think flying on private jets is an upgrade for humans, imagine what it must be like for dogs. On many commercial flights, dogs and other animals are forced to fly in the cargo hold with all of the baggage. By flying on charter planes, not only do your pets get to fly in the cabin with you, they also get to avoid the lineups, stress and general inconvenience that everyone experiences when checking in at a commercial airport. Jet charter companies such as Stratos make special arrangements to ensure your pet has a comfortable place within the cabin of the aircraft. Step 5 – Explore Pet-friendly Accommodations Whether you’re flying for an extended family vacation, or you’re showing your purebred Pomeranian at a conformation dog show, you need to make sure your chosen accommodation is pet-friendly. Many luxury hotels have gone out of their way to welcome dogs, offering an extraordinary range of amenities and services:
- Loaner beds and bowls
- Dog tags
- Gourmet room service
- Yoga for dogs
- Dog walking
- Pet sitting
- Doggie spa treatments and massage therapy
Knowing these things ahead of time will help you plan your trip. Some of the questions you should answer include:
- Are there extra hotel fees for pets?
- Does the hotel have weight and size limits?
- What amenities does your accommodation provide?
- Does your hotel accept pets (not all branches of a hotel chain accept pets)?
- Are there any other hotel restrictions (off-limit areas etc.)?
For more on staying at hotels with your pets, read our post: Flying Private Jet Charter & Hotel Lodging with Pets. Are you planning a trip with your pet? Stratos charters private jets that cater to the needs of pet owners and their four-legged companions. Our knowledgeable agents are available 24/7—(888) 593-9066 (toll free) or request a quote online.