2018 Private Jets for Charter: A Year in Review
From coming up with an amazing way to support aspiring pilots and profiling incredible new aircraft to sharing the unbelievable stories of smugglers and debunking popular myths about private jets for charter—2018 was indeed a notable year for Stratos and our industry.
With just a few days left in 2018, we wanted to take a moment to highlight five of the most notable events of the last 12 months.
1. And the scholarship goes to….
With a looming pilot shortage and a lack of women entering the field as pilots of private jets for charter, we wanted to do something to both raise awareness of this issue, and give a hard-working pilot a headstart.
In 2018, we were incredibly proud to launch its inaugural pilot scholarship. The $2,000 bursary will help emerging private jet pilots cover the cost of training (approximately $80,000).
And guess what? Our first-ever pilot training scholarship winner was 26-year-old Kimberly Novak, currently attending ATP Flight School at Daytona Beach International Airport.
Learn more about her journey as a female pilot in training!
2. Interviews with Sky-high Smugglers
Have you ever been tempted to sneak an oversized aerosol hairspray onto a commercial flight? What about lighters, marijuana or a weapon?
Well, we wanted to find out what people were thinking and what happened to those sneaking banned substances aboard. So, here it is, the results of the survey that answers:
- What are the most popular contraband items brought on planes?
- What was the reason they shirked they rules to bring banned goods aboard?
- Were you on a trip for business or pleasure?
- How and why passengers wanted to get even “higher”
Curious yet? Find out what sky-high mugglers were willing to risk, and what they were thinking!
3. Breathtaking New Private Jets for Charter Released in 2018
They’ve been called the mansions and supercars of the sky, and we got our first glimpse of a few this year. Check out this year’s most stunning new private jet aircraft, and try not to drool!
Super mid-size jets
Mid-size private jets
4. What Happens in the Air Doesn’t Always Stay in the Air
Births, deaths, drugs—flight attendants see a lot at “the office.” We were curious about the most surprising things they’ve done and seen, so we asked!
In our survey article Flight Attendant Confessions, we asked these airplane pros questions such as
- Which of these things have you done on duty?
- Which of these things have you seen on duty?
- What are the most annoying passenger behaviours?
- What in-flight fears do attendants have?
- What emergencies are they really prepared for?
If you’ll ever be on a commercial flight again, you have to read this article!
5. The Aircraft Operator that Hired Students to Pilot Unauthorized Private Jets
This was an event that made the news for several tragic reasons, and made many of us in the private jets for charter industry feel something beyond frustration.
In January 2018, the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) issued a press release announcing it had handed out an emergency order of revocation against TapJets for committing a number of alleged infractions, including that it had “used unqualified pilot” and “endangered lives.”
Read more about how this operator put people’s lives at risk, and how we go above and beyond to prove how we maximize clients’ margin of safety on every single flight.
Whether you’re an avgeek, addicted to luxury travel or just want to see how the other half travels, we’ve enjoyed sharing our world and expertise with you in 2018. To another year of safe and exciting travels, from everyone at Stratos Jet Charters!